Our number one passion at Dance Alive Studios is to foster performance opportunities for choroegraphers and dancers alike. Our Weekly Classes are designed to provide training for dancers who want to perform as a group, but there are more ways to express ourselves as artists beyond the group class environment. This is why we have created a customized program to support dancers in learning to access their own unique movement style and hone their choreographical skills.
Skip to the bottom of the page to apply for the program or book a session:
What is Path to Performance?
There are three important components that make up the Path to Performance Program:
Teachers take the lead on creativity, motivation, and artistic direction of the process. Students are still strongly encouraged to choose the song and general impression of the piece they wish to create, but teachers will spend more time outside of the studio preparing choreography and assessing student readiness for certain elements. This is a more instructional session where the teacher leads the student through choreography or training they have specifically prepared.
Students take the lead on creativity, motivation, and artistic direction of the process. Teachers are present to be a sounding board for student ideas and to provide guidance and feedback on choreography and movement designed by the student. Teachers can also be more active in creating choreography with student input, but will not have anything prepared prior to the session. This is a more collaborative experience where the teacher and student create something together!
Students are strongly encouraged to book studio time with their fellow artists to work on free movement ideas and practice elements provided by teachers. More details about Studio Rental booking and rates can be found on our Studio Rentals Page.
How It Ties Together
Our goal is to provide a supportive and educational process that allows students of any dance style to explore their own choreographical abilities to become self-sufficient performing artists. While we encourage students toward a Student-Led format, we are happy to provide more Teacher-Led experiences to beginners who aren’t sure where to start. Below are a few possible scenarios:
- Example 1) A student has an idea of what song and style they would like, but they are unsure how to develop more ideas around the piece. They begin with Teacher-Led sessions to receive a fully-formed piece completely choreographed by the teacher. Once the piece is finished, they switch to Student-Led sessions for fine-tuning, which could include cleaning the existing choreography, developing more artistry and story around the movements, and/or changing any steps. The student also books Studio Rentals as they need to practice and perfect the piece.
- Example 2) A student begins with a few Teacher-Led sessions in order to establish a sense of choreographical style and get some idea of movements that work with the music. After a few Teacher-Led sessions, the student gains confidence enough to switch to Student-Led sessions to finish their piece in a more collaborative process. The student also books multiple Studio Rentals throughout in order to practice what the teacher has provided, and to try out new ideas to bring to the teacher in the Student-Led session.
- Example 3) A student begins the process with a few Student-Led sessions to try and create their own vision with the help of a teacher. After a few collaborative sessions, the student decides they want more guidance and structure, and switches to some Teacher-Led sessions to complete the piece. Once the piece is complete, the student might book some Studio Rentals to practice the finished piece, and book one more Student-Led session to get some final feedback before performance.
- Example 4) A group of students book Studio Rentals to start creating a piece together. After creating a portion of the piece, they book a Student-Led Session to get teacher feedback, guidance, and to have some cleaning work done. The group continues in that vein, Studio Rentals as a group with a periodic Student-Led Session, until the piece is done and clean and ready for performance.
As you can see, the options are endless. Students can select to have all Teacher-Led Sessions, all Student-Led Sessions, or all Studio Rentals with no teacher feedback. The program is entirely customizable based on the students’ time, finances, and goals.
All finished pieces may be submitted to perform in our year-end DAS Show in June, our August DAS Showcase, or any other performances we hold throughout the season. More details are provided once performers have entered the program.
Competition is an option for anyone who wishes to enter. Please be aware that competition has entry fees and travel requirements, as well as a set schedule that may require time off from work. Students who want to register for competitions through Dance Alive Studios will also be charged and administration fee for our work to organize. More information will be provided if we collect it, but you are welcome to request entry at certain competitions yourself as well.
There are also numerous opportunities for dancers to perform small works that pop up throughout the year in our city and province. Dancers who are working on pieces through the Path to Performance option will be given explicit notice and invitation to be a part of these often paid performances from Dance Alive Studios (only available to Active Members). These are often last minute and chaotic, but they are lots of fun and a great way to hone your skills as a performing artist!
If you have requests or suggestions for other perfoming ideas, please contact us and we will try and accommodate all we can!
Season 7 Timeline
Please read carefully below for important deadlines and planned Workshops for performers in the Path to Performance Program:
- Mon Sep 11, 2023 — Season 7 begins, Path to Performance Applications open
- Sat Mar 16, 2024 — P2P Workshop #1
- Sat Apr 27, 2024 — P2P Workshop #2 (Mandatory for June Show Submission)
- Sun Apr 28, 2024 — Submission Deadline for June Show
- Tue May 21 – Thu May 23, 2024 — Photo Shoot Week (optional for P2P members)
- Sat May 25, 2024 — P2P Workshop #3
- Sat Jun 1, 2024 — DAS Show Dress Rehearsal (Mandatory for June Show) *tentative
- Sat Jun 8, 2024 — DAS Show *tentative
Pricing & Application
All students participating in Path to Performance must be DAS Members for the duration of their involvement. Take a look at our Membership Page for more information on how to maintain membership.
|# of Dancers||Teacher-Led Session||Student-Led Session|
|1 dancer||$85.50/hr + GST||$60.00/hr + GST|
|2 dancers||$54.00/hr + GST |
|$40.00/hr + GST|
|3+ dancers||$40.50/hr + GST|
|$30.00/hr + GST|
|Dance Labs||$25.00/hr + GST|
|Studio Room||Hourly Booking|
|4-Hr Punch Card|
|Green Room||$37.80/hr + GST||$139.50 + GST|
|Grey Area||$27.00/hr + GST||$99.90 + GST|
*Check out our Studio Rentals Page for more information on studio bookings
Booking is dependent on studio and teacher availability. If you’re interested, fill out the form below and we will get you started on the process!
Registration for Season 7 is NOW OPEN!
Book a Session!
Fill out the form below any time you want to book a new Student-Led or Teacher-Led session for your Path to Performance piece: